Press "Enter" to skip to content

HAZMAT incident on campus shuts down building


A hazardous material accident shutdown the Graduate Research Building on TWU’s Denton campus at 12:45 p.m. on Wed., Feb. 22, no injuries were reported and the building was evacuated immediately.

According to a press release by TWU’s Marketing and Communications department the university is still gathering detail on the incident, but it is thought the accident was caused by the accidental mixing of an acid and base during routine chemical disposal performed by a graduate lab assistant, which caused the glass container they were placed in to shatter. No one was in the room at the time and the incident was discovered because of the noise of the container bursting. At this time it is not known what the chemicals were. The building was evacuated immediately and TWU’s Department of Public Safety and the Denton Fire Department were notified and arrived on the scene quickly. Oakland St. is closed down while police cars and fire trucks block off the street.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *